Friday, September 26, 2014

Voice Week Day 4 — The World Is Sleeping

It's the second last day of Voice Week. Be sure to check out the last three post if you haven't already :) 

Let's get straight into it today. Onwards!

I lay with my back pressed to the cool rooftop and gaze skywards. There’s something about the night that brings tranquillity to my heart. I think it’s the fact that humans are sleeping and all that’s left awake is the quiet hum or the natural world. The big and beutiful natural world.
My eyes try to take in the entire sky at once. The stars suddenly look like they’re dancing and vertigo over whlems me. They’re just as hypnotizing as they’ve always been.
Just then, a shooting star whisks across the sky. When I was young, I asked my grandmother about heroes and how we were to know if someone was a ture hero: someone who would change the world.
“If a star falls from the sky within the minute a baby is born.” she told me while watering her plants, “It means that baby will do great things in life.” 
“Oh. Mommy says that Alex will do great things in life.” I swirled my finger through the dirt. 
 “He will.” My grandmother looked over at me, a gleam like starlight shone in her eyes. “But your were the one who was born under a shooting star while everyone else slept.”


That was my longest one yet but I really enjoyed writing it :) 
To anyone who's commented on my past posts this week, thank you so much! It makes my day to see that people are enjoying reading my writing as much as I'm enjoying reading theirs. 
Be sure to check out the Voice Week blog if you haven't gotten a chance to and I'll see you back here tomorrow for the last day of the challenge!

7 comments:

  1. Hello,

    (P/S: this is not a scam)

    To: CASSIA TAYLOR

    RE: CORDIAL INVITATION TO "A MEETING OF THE MINDS" BLOG PROJECT

    Greetings,

    I am partaking on a new Blog project entitled 'A meeting of the minds', which entails bringing together contributions from up and coming bloggers in form of a guest post in my blog "Musings of An African Boy." The project is meant to put a creative twist on a blogger's style of writing, through a back-and-forth collaboration between you, the guest and I, the host, such that we can produce a literary piece that speaks of both our interests, writing styles and patterns of thought.

    The project is meant to be fun and engaging, and a means for us to strengthen social and blogging, and jointly promote each other on the blogosphere.

    If you have any questions or comment, please reply to me in a comment below.

    I strongly pray that you may receive this suggestion positively, and I in fact look forward to having you on board!

    Regards,

    Jude Mulisya.

    BLOGGER,
    MUSINGS OF AN AFRICAN BOY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reminiscent voice. Very different from the previous ones. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is completely new and feels like the beginning of a bigger story. I love the grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get a sense of nostalgia and wonderment in this one. Lovely. ^ ^

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete